The Scottish Government has brought forward legislation to allow small and medium sized businesses and employers to reclaim Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) paid for sickness absence due to COVID-19.
The eligibility criteria for the scheme will be as follows:
- This refund will cover up to 2 weeks’ SSP per eligible employee who has been off work because of COVID-19
- Employers with fewer than 250 employees will be eligible
- The size of an employer will be determined by the number of people they employed as of 28 February 2020
- Employers will be able to reclaim expenditure for any employee who has claimed SSP (according to the new eligibility criteria) as a result of COVID-19
- Employers should maintain records of staff absences and payments of SSP, but employees will not need to provide a GP fit note
- If your employee needs a sick note due to coronavirus please ask them not to don’t contact their GP or NHS 24. They can download an isolation note directly from NHS Inform here
All UK based businesses are eligible and a rebate scheme is currently being developed. Further details will be provided in due course once the legislation has been passed.