Self Employed

Please note, this scheme is now closed to new claims for the first grant.

The Self-employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) supports self-employed individuals (including members of partnerships). This scheme allows you to claim a taxable grant worth 80% of your trading profits up to a maximum of £2,500 per month for the next 3 months. Claim a grant through the Self-employment Income Support Scheme.

Created to support those who work for themselves who are now experiencing financial difficulty, the scheme’s aims are to bring parity across the lives of all working people during this difficult time.

The scheme has now been extended. If you were eligible for the first grant and can confirm to HMRC that your business has been adversely affected on or after 14 July 2020, you’ll be able to make a claim for a second and final grant from 17 August 2020.

The final taxable grant will be worth 70% of your average monthly trading profits, paid out in a single instalment covering 3 months’ worth of profits, and capped at £6,570 in total.

How the grant works

If you receive the grant you can continue to work, start a new trade or take on other employment including voluntary work, or duties as a military reservist.

The grant does not need to be repaid but will be subject to Income Tax and self-employed National Insurance.

Access the scheme

  • For information on how to access the scheme, please click over onto the Business Support pages of the website here.
  • There is also a really useful frequently asked questions page here.
  • Newly Self Employed and Micro Businesses:  This fund closed on 10th July.

Other Benefits for Self Employed

  • If you are sick or if you have been advised to self-isolate. You will be able to claim Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) from day one instead of day eight.  Payments have been raised so that the self-employed receive the same amount as someone on statutory sick pay. This is currently £94.25 a week. You can make a claim for new style Employment and Support Allowance on the Government’s website. You’ll need to fill in a NSESAF1 claim form to apply for “New Style” ESA.
  • Claiming Universal Credit top ‘Top Up’ your income.  The minimum income floor (MIF) applies to those who’ve been self-employed for more than 12 months. The MIF assumes that self-employed people work 35 hours a week and earn the minimum wage. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) compares their real earnings with the MIF to work out their Universal Credit award. For full details go to the Self-employment and Universal Credit page on the website.

The Scottish Government have set up a business support helpline (0300 303 0660) for all business support enquiries in Scotland and request that businesses needing guidance contact them in the first instance on this number. Additional advice is available here >>>

Receive business updates