Perth & Kinross Council is committed to providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience, regardless of technology or ability. We are actively working to increase the accessibility and usability of our website and in doing so adheres to many of the available standards and guidelines.
This website endeavours to conform to level Double A of the WCAG (Web content accessibility guidelines 2.0 (Opens in a new window)). These guidelines explain how to make web content more accessible for people with disabilities. Conformance with these guidelines will help make the web more user friendly for all people.
We follow a list of accessibility guidelines when designing web sites and their content. This includes:
- Maintain a standard layout and navigation system throughout;
- Use headings, paragraphs, lists and other HTML (HyperText Markup Language) to create a logical document structure;
- Allow visitors to resize all text;
- Use plain backgrounds to improve the readability of text;
- Use foreground and background colour combinations which have sufficient contrast and are not known to cause problems for people with colour-blindness;
- Use alt attributes on all images, and title or longdesc attributes where appropriate, and ensure that all alt, title and longdesc attributes are meaningful;
- Design layouts to work satisfactorily at a range of screen resolutions;
- Ensure all hyperlinks use descriptive and meaningful text, avoiding short-hand language like ‘Click here’, ‘read’ and ‘more +’.
- Provide internal anchors for visitors using screen readers or similar technology;
- Always provide an alternative to scripts or other controls which rely on client device capability.
Whilst Perth & Kinross Council’s website strive to adhere to the accepted guidelines and standards for accessibility and usability, it is not always possible to do so in all areas of the website.
We are continually improving the Perth & Kinross Council website. Should you experience any difficulty in accessing the website or have any comments or suggestions for how to improve the site please contact the New Media Improvement Officer by emailing email@example.com.